|The German Legation|
Until 1940 the Auswärtige Amt had a legation in The Hague, where Count Julius von Zech-Burkersroda was stationed, and consulates in, amongst other places, Amsterdam, Arnhem, Dordrecht, Groningen, Harlingen, Maastricht, Nijmegen, Rotterdam, Venlo, Vlissingen, IJmuiden and Zevenaar.
Through these representations the Auswärtige Amt promoted the interests of Germany in general and of German residents in the Netherlands. The activities ranged from personal issues relating to visas and suchlike to political, economic and cultural matters.
After 1934 they also included passing on information about German migrants (Jews/communists). In 1940 after the establishment of Seyss-Inquart’s civil administration, the diplomatic infrastructure was abandoned and Otto Bene was appointed Vertreter des Auswärtige Amt beim Reichkommissar fürbesetzten niederländischen Gebiete (Representative of the Auswärtige Amt for Occupied Dutch Territory).